Thursday, April 8, 2010

Greek Burgers ...

It's been awhile since I've posted a recipe. There have been several that I've wanted to share but time has not been a friend of mine lately. I can't say this is family friendly because I'm the only one who liked it. Nor was it fast or easy...well, it would have been easy if Maddy wasn't screaming the whole time and Kaity and Abby weren't fighting. There's just a lot of vegetables and herbs.

I've made them before and they were good, but the portions weren't right and I knew I could make it better, it had so much potential. Here's the basic recipe.

Ingredients
3/4 cup shredded seeded peeled cucumber (I didn't bother peeling or seeding the cucumber. I just washed and diced. I used about 1/2 -3/4 of the cucumber)
1/2 cup plain yogurt (I like the greek yogurt, it's nice and thick and won't get too runny when you add the lemon)
2 teaspoons lemon juice (Juice 1 lemon)
2 teaspoons snipped fresh dill (I used 3/4 of a bunch)
1 garlic clove, minced (2)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper

MINI BURGERS:
3 tablespoons finely chopped onion (1 red onion)
3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley (1 bunch)
3/4 teaspoon dried oregano (1 tsp)
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon pepper
1 pound ground turkey
4 pita breads (6 inches), halved and warmed
2 medium tomatoes, thinly sliced (I diced them and mixed half of a bunch of parsley)

Directions
In a small bowl, combine the first seven ingredients. Cover and refrigerate until serving.
In a large bowl, combine the onion, parsley, oregano, salt and pepper. Crumble turkey over mixture and mix well. Shape into sixteen 2-in. patties.
Coat grill rack with cooking spray before starting the grill. Grill burgers, covered, over medium heat for 2-3 minutes on each side or until no longer pink. Serve in pita halves with tomatoes and reserved sauce. Yield: 4 servings.

I didn't form patties because pita sandwiches are messy. So I just browned the meat. I took the pitas spread a layer of the yogurt, then mixed the meat with the tomatoes, and topped with more yogurt. Sooo yummy!

No comments:

Post a Comment